With Microsoft 365 from GoDaddy, you can add multi-factor authentication (MFA) to your account for added security when signing in. This additional layer of security helps prevent unauthorized access to your email by requiring an additional step when signing into your account.
In this article, you will learn how to set up and enable multi-factor authentication for your Microsoft 365 account.
With that being said, here are the instructions to set up multi-factor authentication.
How to enable multi-factor authentication in Microsoft 365
Time needed: 5 minutes.
Steps to set up multi-factor authentication in Microsoft 365
- Sign in to Microsoft 365.
Using your Microsoft 365 email and password, sign in to Outlook on the web.
- Go to the multi-factor authentication page.
After signing in, visit the multi-factor authentication page.
- Select a user.
From here, select the check box next to the user showing the MFA status.
- Enable multi-factor authentication.
Afterward, quick steps will then show up on the right hand side. Select Enable.
- Confirm multi-factor authentication.
From the confirmation window, select enable multi-factor auth. Then close.
- Enforce MFA.
Now select the check box for the same user. From quick steps, choose Enforce.
- Choose phone number for MFA or use Microsoft Authenticator App.
With the email account that MFA was enforced on, sign in to Outlook on the web once more. During the sign in process, you will have to enter the phone number that the verification code should be sent to. After entering the number, select Next.
Note: As an alternative to using a phone number, you also can use the Microsoft Authenticator app instead.
- Finalize MFA setup.
Once you have set up multi-factor authentication, you will then receive an app password for email clients where basic authentication is used. Then choose Done.
By following these steps, you will have successfully set up multi-factor authentication for your Microsoft 365 account. Additionally, you may also want to require all users within your organization to use MFA. If so, this can be accomplished by automatically enabling security defaults.
How to disable multi-factor authentication
You may decide later that you want to disable MFA for your account. If so, here are the steps to do so.
- Using your Microsoft 365 email address and password, sign in to Outlook on the web.
- After signing in, visit the multi-factor authentication page.
- From here, select the check box next to the user you want to disable multi-factor authentication for.
- In the quick steps that show on the right, choose Disable.
- From the confirmation window that displays, select yes. Then close.
If you have other questions about MFA or your account, we are always happy to help. Support may be reached anytime by calling (480) 624-2500. Additional resources and articles are also available in our Microsoft 365 from GoDaddy Help Center.