Instagram created a name for itself shortly after launching in October 2010 and only grew its popularity when it was purchased by Facebook in 2012. It also became a social media titan and the app is downloaded on almost every Millennial and Gen Zers’ cell phone. But Instagram is a completely different platform from its parent company.
Have you noticed why some content does better on Instagram than it does on Facebook? And what is the difference between a personal and a business Instagram account?
In 2021, over 1 billion people regularly use Instagram every month. Because Instagram is primarily accessed with a mobile app, this gives it the 4th most users above any other app, just behind other apps like Facebook, WhatsApp and Messenger (also all owned by Facebook).
Instagram also has an immense international online audience reach with 88% of its users living outside of the US. With such a large online audience, Instagram is a great platform to keep your followers up-to-date on your business.
A key difference from Instagram and other social media platforms is that posted content has to be visually appealing. Users spend most of their time scrolling through their never-ending Instagram feed looking at images and maybe reading the captions. Longer captions usually have a preface but with the right preface, those posts can drive the most online traffic.
How To: Create an Instagram Business Account
Time needed: 10 minutes.
Steps to Create an Instagram Business Account
- Download the Instagram App
To access all of the tools that Instagram will offer to your business, download the app onto your smartphone. Instagram is compatible with most smartphones so this is the first easy step.
- Sign up and Create an Instagram Business Account
An Instagram Business account can be created in one of two ways: starting from scratch or converting a personal account to a business account. One is not preferable to the other because they both get the job done right.
To create an Instagram Business Account from scratch:
Sign up on the app by following the instructions. Fill in all of the information to create your brand new business account including the email that will be attached to this account.
Create a username and password for your new Instagram business page. It is always best to use your business name as your username but if that username is taken, Instagram will require that you change or modify the username. Once your username and password are accepted, click next to continue.
- Convert a personal Instagram account to a business account (optional if wanting to turn an existing Instagram account into a business account)
Tap the three-lines on the upper right corner of your Instagram profile page. Some accounts can then click on the “Switch to Professional Account” button. Click the button and continue onto the next step.
If you’re looking at a page with a settings list, click the “Account” button toward the bottom. At the bottom of the “Account” page, you will have the button option to “Switch Account Type”. Choose “Switch to Business Account” and continue onto the next step.
- Edit your Profile
Choose an image to be the page’s profile picture. This image can be something that represents your business such as a logo.
Set the name for your Instagram business page to be the same as your business name (if possible) so that your page is easy for your customers to find when they search for your page.
Write a 150-word bio for your page so that your followers will know what services or goods your business offers to customers.
As you personalize your new Instagram business page, input as much information about your business as possible.
TIP: Share the same kind of contact and product information on your Instagram business page that is shared on your business’s website. Instagram has built in features for potential customers to directly call or email your business from the app.
Instagram is popularly used to share visually appealing images of products to followers. As Instagram follows the new video-sharing trend, you are able to share videos of your business as well.
Any visual content that you share should promote your business and what you have to offer customers. You can make your pictures as fun and creative as possible. Whatever you want customers to feel when they purchase your products or goods, express that online!
Tips to Better Connect with Your Target Audience When Using an Instagram Business Account
There are thousands of hours worth of Instagram tips and content that you can watch to make your business Instagram page appealing to your followers. Here are the top 5 to get you started:
- Decide who your business is trying to reach
- Decide who you want to see your Instagram page. Are they the same type of people who are buying your products? What is the average age that you want your page to attract? What geographical location do your followers need to be familiar with to understand your business and your posts?
- Use relevant # (hashtags)
- Posting hashtags that are relevant to your post make your posts more accessible to a bigger audience. You can use a hashtag in the post’s caption or in the comments. And use the hashtag with your brand’s name regularly so whenever someone searches for your brand, they will find your posts or page or another account’s posts that are relevant to your business. Still don’t know what a # is? Check out this Hootsuite article!
- Try different kinds of posts
- Sharing pictures on Instagram is great but try other features like IGTV, Reels, Boomerangs, Stories and more. As you experiment with different styles of content, you will begin to notice what kind of content your followers like and use it to your advantage.
- Make it visually appealing for YOUR business
- Each business has its own style of customer and Instagram follower. It is common at first to try posting with similar styles as more popular Instagram pages but once you know what kind of content your followers like to see, keep posting with your business’s style to keep your customers liking and engaging with your posts.
- Consistent content
- As you continue to fine-tune your Instagram business page’s content, keep the editing consistent. Nothing makes an Instagram page look more appealing than all of the pictures and videos having the same kind of filters and lighting.
Instagram users enjoy using the app to connect with their favorite people, celebrities and businesses in a more personal way. The app allows for users to be more creative in what they post in order to attract more followers.
As you build your business online, do not miss out on the amazing tool that Instagram is! Want to see how Branchleaf Digital uses Instagram? Follow us on Instagram.