So you’re wanting to move your email over to Microsoft 365? If so, that’s great. You’ve come to the right place to learn how to.
Migrating your email to Microsoft 365 doesn’t have to be difficult, but there are several steps involved. To help you make your email transition a smooth one, we’ll cover all of the steps involved, one by one. So let’s jump in.
So how does Microsoft 365 migration work?
It’s worth mentioning before going through the migration steps that at Branchleaf Digital, we actually offer email migration services to Microsoft 365 from GoDaddy. This means we take care of all the hard work required to move your email data over. And after we complete each step, we will send a message to you and your email users with reminders, as well as any instructions that are needed to complete the transition.
If you have set up your Outlook client with POP email settings, you and your users must download and install the Outlook Migration Assistant in order to migrate any local data. The Outlook Migration Assistant copies your client configurations and then prepares each desktop with the existing settings. So you will want to ensure that all of your computers/users meet the requirements to use the Outlook Migration Assistant.
Starting your email migration to Microsoft 365
To begin your migration to Microsoft 365 from GoDaddy, simply contact our customer support. You can do so by visiting the Office 365 Login page and selecting the New Customer option. Upon doing so, a customer support expert can guide you through the customization of your migration.
Customization options include:
- Determining which mailboxes are migrating to Microsoft 365
- The set up of add-ons such as Advanced Email Security, Email Archiving, or Email Backup
- Adding of email aliases, distribution groups and/or forwarding addresses
- Selecting a start date to use Microsoft 365
Step 1 – Domain verification
The first thing you will need to do is verify your domain name. Microsoft 365 from GoDaddy setup requires proof that you own your domain. You prove this by entering a TXT record on the domain DNS.
To complete this step, we will send you the instructions to update your DNS by email. With that being said, you will want to complete this step as soon as possible to avoid any potential delays in migration. And not to worry, this change will not interrupt your current email service.
Step 2 – Collect your passwords
- In order to move your email from your current email service and migrate it to Microsoft 365 from GoDaddy, access to your accounts is needed to begin the data sync. To complete this step, SkyKick ([email protected]), a migration partner, will send each end-user an email with a unique and secure link that will request each user to provide their current email address and password.
- After entering your current information, the page will require you to set a password for your new Microsoft 365 account. This is the same password that you will use to access your new account.
- Upon creating your new password, email migration will begin in the background while you continue using your current email service.
Step 3 – Download the Outlook Migration Assistant
To allow for a smoother migration process, it is recommend that you and any other email users download and install the Outlook Migration Assistant prior to the date you are scheduled to upgrade. The assistant is only available for Windows PC users. If you are on a Mac, you do not need to download the Outlook Migration Assistant.
By downloading and installing the Outlook Migration Assistant before the migration date, the following will be completed by the Assistant:
- Automatic creation of a new profile in Outlook that will use the new Microsoft 365 email
- Migration of local .PST content from the old email into the new profile. This includes content such as:
- POP email data
- Contacts, calendars, and tasks
- Email signatures
- Autocomplete cache
In addition, the primary account owner receives daily reports on the Outlook Migration Assistant downloads by your email users.
With all that being said, it is strongly recommend that everyone who can (or needs to), download and install the Outlook Migration Assistant early within the migration process.
Users that are not able to use the Outlook Migration Assistant will have to manually move local content. Their email client will also have to be manually set up. But not to worry, instructions will be provided to these users on the date of migration. Mac users and anyone without Outlook already set up cannot use the Outlook Migration Assistant.
Step 4 – Migration Day & DNS Cutover
You will be able to begin using Microsoft 365 on the day and time you select. However, before you are able to start using your new email, you will first need to change your DNS settings so that they point to Microsoft 365.
The new DNS settings and instructions will be emailed to you 8 hours prior to the migration. These can be updated by your DNS provider or by an admin of the account.
Additionally, if you downloaded the Outlook Migration Assistant, the DNS will need to be updated for the assistant to be able to finish setting up your Outlook email client.
Step 5 – Finishing your email migration to Microsoft 365
After starting to use your new email, most of your emails and data should be available, but you could be missing a few. However, this is nothing to be alarmed about. The sync just needs to complete.
After you start using Microsoft 365 from GoDaddy, you will want to allow up to 48 hours for the data sync to finish from your previous email service to your new Microsoft 365 one. Old email accounts are then monitored for 72 hours to ensure complete transition.
Well, that’s it. If you followed these steps, you will have successfully migrated your email to Microsoft 365.